Contact Lens Exams our Amarillo Optometrist
Contact lenses are so commonplace in today's world that it's easy to forget just how much thought, care, and precision must go into each contact lens fitting. Anything less than the perfect lenses for your needs can prove unhelpful, uncomfortable and even unsafe for your eyes. If you want to make absolutely sure you're getting high-quality, properly-fitted contacts, you need to come to EyeCare Plus. We can provide detailed contact lens exams and help you choose the best type of contact lens for your ocular health and intended usage.
Contact Lens Exam in Amarillo
Undergoing a contact lens exam on top of the usual vision testing may seem like an extra hill to climb, but that hill is a very important one. Unlike eyeglasses, which are perched safely on either side of the nose, contact lenses must interface directly with the surface of the eye. This requires them to be configured specifically for your individual eye dimensions. To achieve this configuration, your Amarillo optometrist (Dr. Pathapati or Dr. Jentzen) must measure your pupils and irises and corneas. Keratometry can provide us with the basic corneal dimensions; a digital technique called corneal topography obtains more detailed data on even the smallest aberrations.
In addition to contact lens fitting issues, your contact lens exam in Amarillo also takes your eyesight, medical history, and lifestyle into account. This is important if you have:
- A complex refractive error such as presbyopia, which requires vision correction at two or more distances
- Corneal abnormalities such as keratoconus
- Dry eye, which can make the eyes extremely sensitive to contact lenses
- Giant papillary conjunctivitis, in which the eyelids are highly sensitive to the proteins that can gather on contact lenses
How you intend to integrate your contacts into your daily life is another point your Amarillo eye doctor will discuss with you. You may want to wear your contacts for days without changing them, for instance, or you may find it more convenient to grab a fresh pair each day.
Expert Contact Lens Fitting and Selection
Once we've gathered all the necessary contact lens fitting data, your Amarillo optometrist can point you toward your best contact lens options. We can fit you with:
- Rigid gas permeable contacts for more complex or severe vision issues
- Soft contacts for optimal comfort
- Moisture-retaining contacts for dry eye sufferers
- Toric contacts that won't rotate on the cornea when you blink (important for correcting astigmatism)
- Scleral contacts that go all the way over the cornea without touching it, thus compensating for the deformations of keratoconus
- Multifocal or monovision contacts for presbyopia
- Daily disposable or extended-wear contacts to suit your lifestyle
Call Your Amarillo Eye Doctor to Schedule a Contact Lens Exam
Do your eyes an enormous favor by getting your contact lenses just right. Contact EyeCare Plus at 806-358-3594 to schedule a contact lens exam with your Amarillo eye doctor!