Children's Eye Exams in Amarillo
Children's eye exams are important! Taking your child to the eye doctor on a regular basis helps to ensure that your child's eyes are healthy and working properly. At Eye Care Plus in Amarillo, TX, we give eye exams to children starting in infancy.
When Children Should Get an Eye Exam from our Optometrist in Amarillo
Children should start getting eye exams when they're approximately 6 months old. Even at this young age, eye doctors can check your child's eyes for signs of disease and dysfunction. After that first eye exam, your child should see the eye doctor annually. We recommend taking school aged children to the eye doctor in the late summer before school begins.
What to Expect from our Children’s Eye Exam
Eye exams for children test for three things:
- Eye functionality. Your child's eye doctor will check your child for the ability to see in three dimensions, ability to see color, ability to track movement and so on.
- Eye health. Your child's Amarillo pediatric optometrist will check for signs of eye disease, ranging from cataracts to glaucoma.
- Refractive error. Your child's eye doctor will check your child's eyes for problems like nearsightedness and farsightedness. If your child's eye doctor determines that your child needs corrective lenses, a prescription will be written.
Benefits of Children's Eye Exams
Children benefit from eye exams in many ways! For example:
- Eye exams can help catch eye diseases early. Eye exams catch eye diseases in their early stages. Eye diseases are treated as soon as they're identified, which helps prevent vision loss.
- Eye exams prevent refractive error, which can impact your child's success in school. Children who can't see properly will find it difficult to complete homework assignments and understand lessons taught at school. This can lead to behavior problems and a lifelong struggle in the classroom. Taking your child to the eye doctor will help you avoid these problems, so your child will be able to see and understand lessons taught by the teacher.
- Eye exams catch problems that parents can't. If your child has an eye disease or problems focusing the eyes, your child may not display symptoms until he or she is older. Taking your child to the eye doctor helps ensure that these eye diseases are caught.
Recognize the Symptoms of Eye Problems in Children
If you have a child, it's important to recognize the symptoms of pediatric eye problems. Some common symptoms of eye problems include:
- Sensitivity to light
- Frequent headaches
- Inability to follow a sentence across a page
- Bulging eyes
- Crossed eyes
- Frequent squinting
If your child displays any of these symptoms contact your child's eye doctor right away.
Contact Us for an Amarillo Children's Eye Exam
At Eye Care Plus in Amarillo, TX, we help children of all ages to maintain good eye health. Our eye exams help children see clearly and avoid debilitating eye diseases. If you have a child in Amarillo TX, contact us today for a comprehensive eye exam. Contact us at 806-358-3594.